Club Motori Italia is based in Hobart, Tasmania and was formed in March 1995. The club emerged from the previous Italian car and Motorcycle Club which split to allow the four wheelers and two wheelers to pursue different interests.
The Club’s aims are:
- To promote interest in Italian motorvehicles
- To provide social interaction for members
- To enhance the image of Italian motor vehicles in general
- To encourage the participation of members in all forms of motorsports and to cooperate with similar clubs throughout Australia and the world
The club has about 100 financial members. It conducts a mix of social and competition events.
CAMS (Confederation of Australian Motorsports) affiliation gives us access to public liability insurance and professional supervision when running sanctioned club level competition events and when attending events by other affiliated clubs.
In 2005 CMI purchased its own club van for logistical support
It was sold in February 2007 and replaced with an enclosed trailer
Each year the Club presents awards at its Christmas dinner:
- Clubman of the Year
- Best Restoration (Shannons Trophy)
- Mechanical Improvement (Doug Goodwin Memorial Award)
- G.I.T. (Graham In Training – for the budding collector of decaying Italian classics)
- The fabled ‘Wooden Duck’ (generally awarded for the biggest public boo-boo made by a club member)